Sometimes you just want to unwind, and show your body some appreciation after a long day, week, or month of work. There’s no better way to do it than with a glorious, soothing massage. Maybe you just don’t have the time to hit the spa for some real lovin’... Or it is just too expensive to pay to have a professional work their magic on you. Not to worry because today, we’re going to show you exactly how you can work some of this magic on yourself and for yourself! We’re going to show you how you can enjoy a truly sensational, relaxing, and amazing massage that you can do right in the comfort of your home.
Benefits of massages:
- Ease your body: A proper massage can loosen up your tight spots and ease your joints.
- Relax your mind: Massages cause the release of endorphins (happy hormones) which have been shown to reduce pain and muscle tension and have an overall calming effect on the mind.
- Release your endorphins: Serotonin and dopamine (endorphins) also get released during a massage, giving you a “floating on air, higher than life” feeling. Studies show that a massage can increase serotonin and dopamine in your body by as much as 30% or even more!
- Regulate everything: Endorphins help to regulate and improve your mood, appetite, digestion, energy, and ability to focus, allowing you to improve your productivity.
- Fix your posture: Tightness in your muscles and joints can negatively impact your posture - no matter what you are doing.
- Increase your confidence: A good massage can put your mind at ease. We’ve all seen those Hollywood montages where a lady goes for a day at the spa and shows up the next day, sashaying to the office, literally glowing, all eyes on her… Well, that’s all real!
- Improve your libido: Want to spice up your love life? Trying to feel sexy and desirable again? There’s no better way to do it than a little self-care for you and your partner!
Who knows, after you finish reading this post and try out a thing or two, this could very well be you!
Benefits of partner massages:
Massages with your partner give both of you the opportunity to really explore your body in intimate ways … All while giving your body the serious release and therapy it needs.
Everyone likes a partner that’s good with their hands… The feeling of your partner hitting those pleasure and pressure points at the same time can just be what you need to get those juices flowing. Now that you’ve seen all the goodies and benefits that a proper massage has to offer, let’s get down to what you’ll need for.
Things you’ll need for a high quality, relaxing massage:
- A bottle or two (or three) of your favorite, high-quality massage oil: Quality begets quantity. For a luscious massage, you can’t use sub-par massage oils that may feel grainy or sticky, and cause burns and or irritation. If you want that high-end, soft, pampering feeling that the right massage oil can provide, then Spoil Me is your best option. Spoil Me (and Spoil Me CBD) is made with the best, natural ingredients for a soothing, sensual experience.
- A playlist (optional/but recommended): A sexy, sensual playlist can put you in the mood and signal to your body that you are about to receive some love. If you’re too busy to compile a sexy record for yourself, you can simply find a playlist from one of the many music apps.
- Candles: To set the mood of course!
- Foam rollers: Again, this is optional, but if you can get this handy massage tool, it could improve your experience even more.
- A tennis ball: If you don’t have a foam roller, then this is a good substitute.
Things to know before you start:
Now that we’re closer than ever, here are a few things you should know before you start putting hands all over yourself:
- Aim to massage each area for at least 30 seconds to a minute: doing this will reduce your chances of soreness after.
- Harder is not better: Don’t dig into your flesh too roughly, or you may end up with some soreness after.
- Treat your body with love and care.
- Keep your fingers and tools away from bony prominences and areas, like your spine: What you want is a good time, and not to cripple yourself by accident or end up in the ER.
- Use enough massage oil: These techniques require rubbing, and a whole lot of friction so you want to make sure you use enough high-quality massage oil to reduce friction and prevent bruising.
Key areas for a killer massage:
Obviously, it’s much harder and even impractical to try to reach every nook and cranny of your body especially when you’re doing it solo. What you want to do is identify the major pressure points in major areas of your body for a nice, deep, sensual massage.
Areas like your:
- Upper and lower back
Self-Massage for the Neck:
This is often caused by overuse and poor posture while sleeping. This therapeutic self-massage technique is super helpful in getting rid of and loosening the knots in your neck.
Steps to follow:
- Lower your shoulders away from your ears while straightening your neck and back.
- Locate the painful areas on your neck by pressing firmly with your fingers.
- Gently move your fingers in wide, circular motions.
- Repeat in the opposite direction. Do this for 3 to 5 minutes.
Here’s one way to do a head massage and reduce or even stop headaches by relieving pressure at the sides of your head!
Steps to follow:
- Locate the base of your skull. Place the pointer and middle fingers of each hand in the center, with your fingertips touching.
- Apply gentle pressure and slide your fingers outward or downward, moving in the direction that feels best. Move your fingers in small circular motions. Focus on the tense spots, along with the areas around it.
Self-Massage for your Upper Back:
- Insert the tennis ball into a sock and then place the sock on the floor.
- Lay on the floor, with your chest facing up, and the tennis ball sock between your shoulder blades.
- Using the motion of your body, slowly roll the ball to the area of tension at your upper back.
- Hold the ball in the area of tension for three deep breaths, or until the tension releases, whichever occurs first.
- Repeat on other areas of tension.
Lower Back Self-Massage:
This self-massage for lower back pain works well for massaging your lower back, and you don’t need any equipment for it.
Steps to follow:
- Sit on the floor with your legs crossed and straighten your back.
- Place your thumbs on each side of your sacrum (the flat triangular bone at the bottom of your spine).
- Move your thumbs in small circular motions, moving up and down that region. Apply pressure on any tense spots.
- Continue as necessary, and remember to breathe deeply.
Self-Massage for Glutes:
If you work a desk job, or from home, or just spend many hours sitting, here’s a self-massage routine for you:
- Begin in a seated position on the ground with your knees bent.
- Place the tennis ball under your right buttock and rest your hands on the ground behind your back.
- Lift your right leg off the ground and roll in small circles on the ball, placing more attention on areas that are tender.
- Perform this exercise on your left cheek.
Self-Massage for Feet:
A good massage to your feet can go a long way in loosening tension in your entire body.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Soak your feet in warm water with your massage oil.
- In a seated position, bring your foot up to the opposite knee and place it on top of your leg.
- Starting at the toes, massage the bottom of your foot by rubbing in a circular motion with your thumbs.
- Continue rubbing with your thumbs in a circular motion across the arch of your foot, down to the heel.
- Reverse the direction and repeat for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite foot. Use massage oil as desired.
Self-Massage for your Shoulders:
- Locate the area of pain or soreness in your shoulders.
- Gently grab your shoulder with your hand and massage in a kneading motion, as if you were kneading bread.
- Continue kneading down the top of the shoulder and back up the side of your neck.
- Continue for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite side of your neck and shoulder.
A self-massage is a great way to ease off stress, relax, and spend time with yourself. Just make sure to be gentle with your body and pay attention to your pain points and try to relax and have a good time!